The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) is a volunteer officer training program that allows Army National Guard and Army Reserve enlisted members to participate in the Advanced ROTC Program. Upon completion of Basic Training, a reserve component solider that is an academic sophomore can join ROTC and earn a commission as an officer in the United States Army upon graduation.
In addition, contracted non-scholarship ROTC cadets and Reserve Forces Duty (RFD) scholarship cadets can join a reserve component unit and the SMP.
The intent of the SMP is to increase officer accessions into the Reserve Components by increasing ROTC enrollment from enlisted National Guard and Reserve members who are attending college.
How the SMP Route in the National Guard or Reserves may work for you.
What is SMP to me?
The SMP program provides:
- An opportunity to gain both a commission as a Second Lieutenant and a college degree
- Hands-on management and leadership training
- An ROTC stipend as a contracted
- ROTC cadet plus E-5 drill pay as a serving Guardsmen or Reservist
- Annual Training and ROTC
- Advanced Camp pay
- Montgomery GI Bill and tuition waiver
- An opportunity to win a 2 or 3-year RFD scholarship
- An opportunity for volunteer training in Airborne, Air Assault, Northern, or Mountain Warfare Training
Who is eligible?
- Has completed Basic Training
- Is an academic sophomore
- Is physically qualified
- Is less than 31 years of age upon commissioning (waiverable through age 34)
- Has a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Has four years remaining on their current military obligation
- Is a full time student
- Is a U.S. citizen
How to Enroll
The individual must:
- Enlist in the Army National Guard or U.S. Army Reserve if not already a member
- Discuss his/her interest with the unit commander, and gain a letter of acceptance into the SMP program
- Interview with the ROTC Recruiting Operations Officer or Professor of Military Science
- Take a DoDMERB physical
- Register for Military Science
- Must Provide ROTC unit with:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Copy of DD 214 / 220
- DA 4836 if less than 4 years are left on your current enlistment
- NGB 594-1 or DA 4892
- APFT Card (DA 705)
- Copy of your latest physical exam
- Copy of transcripts and ACT/SAT scores